9 Signs: It’s Time to Get Your Oil Changed
1. Pause before Shifting:
With automatic transmissions, shifting between gears should be as smooth as butter. Any sort of hesitation or lag is a sign that you might need to schedule oil change service.
2. Dark Oil: Clean oil should have a bright, amber-like quality. On the other hand, old and dirty oil will look significantly darker. Insert the dipstick, pull it out, and take a look at your oil’s color firsthand.
3. Exhaust Smoke: If dark smoke is emitting from the tailpipe, you could need an oil change…pronto!
4. Burnt, Oily Smell: If the cabin’s starting to smell like burning oil, well…you can figure it out, right?
5. Banging Noises: As we alluded to in the beginning, old oil won’t lubricate your engine’s constantly moving parts nearly as well as new oil…the consequence could be that it’s making tons of noises.
6. Overheating Engine: This is one of the scariest potential consequences of driving around with oil that’s too old. If your car alerts you that your engine is getting too hot, fresh oil might solve that.
7. Intense Vibrations: Slight vibrations on bumpy surfaces are normal, but intense vibrations on flat surfaces are concerning. If it’s not low tire pressure or a bad universal joint, it could be your oil.
8. Warning Lights: Of course, perhaps the simplest way to figure out if you’re overdue for an oil change is by simply looking at your dashboard lights. Is your car telling you that it’s time?
9. Father Time: Last, but certainly not least, if you can’t remember the last time you got your vehicle’s oil changed, then that might be an indication that it’s been way too long. Contact us!